Wednesday, September 10, 2014

World Suicide Prevention Day 2014

Today is World Suicide Prevention Day. With the recent death of Robin Williams, it seems like everyone wants to talk about suicide prevention. This is good, but I thought why didn't anyone want to talk about it before? We seem to be embarrassed by mental health issue and no one wants to talk about it. I deal with anxiety and depression and until more recently I've always been embarrassed by it. Why? I don't know if I can even tell you. I have been pretty silent about them. Once I opened up to someone I felt better. I can tell you that it is scary to speak out. People can be very judgmental. Every single person reading this (even me while I type this) has judged someone at some point. I'm going to make an effort to not judge anyone. You never know what someone is going through.

This year the non-profit organization To Write Love on Her Arms is using the campaign "No One Else Can Play Your Part" to bring awareness to National Suicide Prevention Week (September 8-14) and to World Suicide Prevention Day (September 10). They want people to tell their stories. Every person's story is different and they want everyone to be honest with their story.

                                    © TWLOHA

I've known about this organization for years. It started in 2006 after founder Jamie Tworkowski wrote a blog post about his friends struggle with depression, self-injury, and addiction. This story spread throughout MySpace (remember MySpace!?) and a lot of bands started to wear their t-shirts. Now it's 2014 and people have a place to find help if they need it without being judged. They have plenty of ways that you can get involved to help spread the vision. 

During one of my favorite songs by Christina Perri is called "I Believe". She wrote this song for TWLOHA's Heavy and Light Tour. I'm going to leave you with the video from one of the nights she played it.




If you or someone you know is struggling and needs help please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK(8255).

No comments:

Post a Comment